Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Catemaco

After two long days of riding, including a night in a mosquito-filled room in Frontera, I arrived in Catemaco, on the shores of the lake that shares it's name. Any town that has a statue of a man holding a paddle is ok with me. 

I took a tour boat (lancha) around the lake. Lots of fishermen and islands. 

One of the islands contained these monkeys (baboons?), which are not actually native to the area but were brought here by a nearby university. They didn't know what to do with them after the study so they put them on this island. Odd.

When I returned to my room, this was on my bed. Not sure if these are native to the area either.

I took a quick ride to Salto de Eyipantla, a nearby waterfall that is nearly 200 ft. high.

Very impressive. Mr. Lanik pointed out in a recent e-mail that I seem to find destinations near water. Good observation. I feel at my best when I am around water.





1 comment:

  1. i wonder what the guy with the paddle is wearing? i love you honey.

    ReplyDelete