Thursday, February 10, 2011

Welcome to the Jungle


I woke up Saturday and felt the need to hit the road despite having my room in paradise booked for 2 more nights. The party had arrived and there didn't seem to be an end in sight. The next few days of riding were the toughest on the whole trip (with the possible exception of one section in the Baja). I rode on more dirt than pavement, with landslides from the previous rainy season completely washing out the road in places. At the same time, it was very beautiful and nice to be in rural areas. I stayed a night in Upsantan in the mountains and rode to Coban so I could watch the Super Bowl in a 400 year-old convent (congratulations Packers). I rode to a organic foodie spot called Finca Ixobel and, of course, found the first food that disagreed with my stomach on the whole trip. 

This frog also visited me in the shower.

After a day of recovery, I headed for Flores and a 4:30am van ride to Tikal, a Mayan community from about 800 B.C. to 870 A.D.. The van ride itself was an adventure but Tikal was amazing. We climbed up many of the temples to the sounds of howler monkeys and a myriad of birds. 










4 comments:

  1. wow! i so wish i was with you right now. i have always wanted to see those ruins (always, that is, since i read a book featuring holly hobby as a time travelling sleuth who for some reason traveled to tikal to solve a mystery). i miss you and love you, sjj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolla,sweet stuff and good to hear from you. sjj - good to see your notes as well. hope this finds you both well... barrell full of monkeys.
    cheers, Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola! Como Estas? Great photos. Glad to read Montezuma's revenge didn't linger. We think we are going to head towards Panama (rather than double back to Mexico) after Guatemala, then head back to Mexico. Feels like we are already planning our return!! Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  4. text me if you dump your bike down some wash-out...I'll come help

    ReplyDelete