Tuesday, February 15, 2011

La Mer

It's been quite a haul since I left Flores, Guatemala. I got up at sunrise and hit the road, crossing the Belize border early with a spitting rain falling (the first I have encountered since Oklahoma during the first week of the trip). I ended up riding all the way to within 6 miles of the Mexico border and stayed in Corozal, on a bay of the Caribbean Sea. The next morning, I was up early again and crossed the border, arriving in Tulum in the middle of the morning. The roads here are straight and flat so the miles go quickly. The picture above was taken on the beach at Tulum. After two nights there, I put in a 300 mile day through the backroads of the Yucatan Peninsula. I stopped in Las Coloradas, where salt is "produced". Rode through countless fishing villages.


I ended up In Puerto Progreso, a busy shipping port. This morning was a much shorter journey to Celestun, a picturesque fishing village where I intend to rest up before another stretch of riding. 

I have been looking at maps and planning my possible route back. I must say that I have mixed feelings. Part of me is excited about being home with family, friends and familiar surroundings. Another part of me laments that the end of the journey is in sight. I love being on the road. 


2 comments:

  1. the road and your family can both be good to you. i for one am excited to see you again, and support more road, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the disposition of the 'Rev'!

    You know, if you put your blog out on a new site with all sorts of advertisements and pop-ups, you could probably travel full time (with multiple visits back home), quit your job and make like Zuckerberg money! --oh wait, we are just 31 followers and most of us never click on ads…

    Anyway, hope to see you and Sarah sometime after you get back (and to be endlessly regaled of your exploits over a few beers!).

    BTW: 50 degrees F here and no spitting rain at all...

    ReplyDelete