Thursday, November 11, 2010

Everything's big in Texas

Well, I was only in the panhandle. I left Oklahoma in cool drizzle. I tried to follow Route 66 but it is actually pretty difficult as the original highway was swallowed up by the interstate. I did see lots of buildings whose heyday was 50 years ago. I decided to switch and follow a highway that actually was in use and saw similar scenes although some of the businesses still exist. It stopped drizzling and the sun actually came out so I decided to make a run for the New Mexico border. The last stretch was very flat with cotton fields and lots of cattle.
Rainy start in OK

The Beast near Dawn, TX.

Lots of old motels. Some interesting stories if the walls could talk.



It's supposed to get chiily, windy and wet here late tonight. I'll figure out what to do tomorrow. If it's not too bad, I'll try to head somewhere between here and Truth or Consequences, my next visit with old friends.





4 comments:

  1. Chris,

    We are supposed to get rain/snow up here this weekend. The temperature is in the low 40's. I'd rather be where you are. It's good to read that things are going well. We are following along with every leg of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it's pretty chilly here too. I woke up to some sleet and am waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can hit the road. Hopefully cruising through Roswell and maybe a bit further if it's not too windy. I'd like to hit the mountains if possible. Hello to all at G-E-T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mista Rolla... we are psyched and anticipating your visit. Southern Nevada Thanksgiving w/ chili peppers and fall sweet corn!

    Cheers, Kirby and Trixie

    ReplyDelete