Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Oaxaca

Another beautiful ride up the mountains from Puerto Escondido to Oaxaca, this time on the backroads.

I managed to find the only wires in miles for this photo.

My first two nights, I stayed at Hostel Pochon but moved here to Hostel Don Nino. This is the fanciest room I've stayed in and the breakfast is delicious. It's right across from Parque Juarez and yes, those guys are carrying a xylophone.

Every time I  walk through the park, I see several couples "making out". PDA seems to be ok here.


I'm studying Spanish every morning at a school here in town. It's only 3 hours but my brain hurts by the end. I just finished my homework.


These are pictures of the Santo Domingo Church. The inside is the most ornate of any church I have seen with a ridiculous amount of gold.





The zocalo is bustling every afternoon and all day on the weekend.

The churches here are sturdier looking due to the propensity for earthquakes in the area.

There is music everywhere. I much prefer these guys to the ubiquitous pan flutists. 

I'm not sure what these were about but it seems to be a protest of some kind on this government building.





4 comments:

  1. Rolla! good stuff C! happy new year and it is great to see the journey continuing to roll. Good to hear from you this past weekend... sorry I was unavailable. We were at our annual snow and ice carving competition in ely, nv. yeah believe it or not frozen lakes and snow in nevada! cheers and take care, Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Chris. I certainly enjoy reading along. Do the Spanish lessons seem to be paying off? Are you communicating more in Spanish with the locals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I got my oil changed and I wouldn't characterize our interaction as fluent. Entertaining, yes. I'll keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete