Tuesday, December 14, 2010

El Espinazo del Diablo

 The road from Mazatlan was probably the most amazing motorcycle road I've ever ridden. Some call it El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Spine) and others El Camino de Tres Mil Curvas (Road of 3000 Curves). They are not exaggerating. Around every curve, you might see a bull, pigs, donkeys or a truck using most of your lane. It was only 200 miles but I was bushed when I arrived in Durango. Here's a link to a video of a bike on this road:  http://vimeo.com/15886038

Breathtakings views when I could take my eyes off of the road.

This was at the summit. They are building an enormous bridge that is supposed to cut the travel time by 2 hours but likely won't be as exciting.

It's much drier on the other side of the summit.

My hotel in Durango. It is very beautiful inside.

Every place I stay seems to find a creative spot for La Bestia Verde.

This is right next door.

Unfortunately, when I was parking her, I broke the "kill switch" so she would not start. I wheeled her into the lobby and did some online research. I didn't feel comfortable with the ideas presented so, in the morning, I asked the people at the front desk for help (after writing down a page of translations that I thought I might need). The man called a motorcycle shop and in 20 minutes, they showed up at the hotel. Next, I got on the back of this bike:

while the driver pushed my bike (with his right foot) with another guy on it through the busy streets of Durango. Creative but a bit scary.

After a short time, all was fixed. They were a great bunch of guys and Othon spoke fluent English, which made the situation go much more smoothly.

Othon is 2nd from the left. The young man on the right was the mechanic and Reemberto (with the bandana) owned the shop and is the Comisionado Nacional of a motorcycle club. 









6 comments:

  1. Wow, that video is pretty intense. No wonder it was draining when you gotta have a hand and a foot hovering over the brake levers in case a Chupacabra appears in your lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought that captured it pretty well. Off to Zacatecas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I see the truck telling the bikers with his left signal when to go around? Well the road looked smooth at least, but yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That devil has some major scoliosis.

    On another note, were you aware of this video about you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_SX3qMQARU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane-That's right, vehicles will signal for you to pass with their left blinker, sometimes in sketchy situations.
    Al-La Bestia's alter ego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mr. Knights, this is Jeremy! Last weekend, I had my hands full on the snow thrower. Some of the snow was up to my hip or my stomach! My Grandma left on tuesday to help my aunt and my cousin in Portland, OR on the flight. I went on my field trip to the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, MN on wednesday. I saw the eagle eat the whole dead rat for the first time! I laughed! Today I was welding a t weld in arc welding and some hot metal sparks ended up in my hair by accident. Luckily, my hair and Mrs. Day's hair didn't catch fire!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete