Thursday, December 2, 2010

Heuvos con Chorizo




My first rest stop in Mexico after the border. Ice cold Coca-Cola. The border went smoothly and I actually had to go back and get my tourist visa because they just swept me right through.

The beach at San Felipe. Mucho frio said everyone. It was rather cold and windy for the beach.

My digs in San Felipe. Very nice and almost empty. In fact, the whole town was pretty quiet. I'm guessing they rely on U.S. tourists and there weren't many about.

Another rest stop south of San Felipe.

Then the road got hairy. The last 25 miles to San Luis Gonzaga were on a very rough road. I met two Canadians on cycles and they said that the road was part of the Baja 1000, which was run about 2 weeks ago. I helped a family fill up their tires with my compressor. They had let the air out to get unstuck from the sand. 

The reward. I stayed in the nice place called Alfonsina's with good food and a simple room on the beach. I could hear the waves all night.

Then more grueling road through some mountains. I'm parked on the only 20 feet of pavement I saw for 70 miles.

In the middle of nowhere is Coco's Corner. Coco wasn't here today but this guy told me some good stories. He said I was the first person he saw today. Not surprising since I didn't see another vehicle on that road that morning. 

The mission in San Ignacio. This was a beautiful town. Literally an oasis in the desert, I saw real trees for the first time in weeks.

My hotel in San Ignacio. The only thing the sign said was "hot water 24 hrs" and this proved to be false.

Breakfast in Mulege. I've been living on Huevos con Chorizo for breakfast and fish tacos and other delectable seafood for dinner.

These shrines are everywhere beside the highway. Most of them aren't in as nice a location.

Inside the shrine.

Today's ride was the nicest so far. It's been windy almost every day and the terrain was amazing. Twisties through mountains and occasionally a glimpse of the Sea of Cortez.













9 comments:

  1. gorgeous, baby. keep 'em coming. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a great time. We love following along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure this is one of many times I'll say this: This looks frickin' awesome! thanks for the picture show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lqJXAJTAM

    "You are not a motorcyclist until you've been to Coco's Corner"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some chorizo! --and Maxican Coke is the best (cane sugar instead of corn syrup). Looks like a great adventure so far and glad so see you're getting a little religion along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Material dulce Rolla! ¡Duerma la siesta y disfrute del paseo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been enjoying the ride but have not been sleeping well. I think I need to get used to the noise level or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you getting exercise once you stop riding? Or maybe do a few rag doll (toe touch) stretches. Or maybe even a feet up the wall position? scootch you butt tight to the wall, put your feet up the wall and hang out there for a while. even if it doesn't help you sleep it feels good.

    ReplyDelete