Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Zacatecas


Zacatecas is a great city. I spent 5 nights there at this hostel. Our host, Ernesto, showed us the city. 

The view from the terrace of the hostel. These colonial cities have beautiful churches and quaint centers with narrow streets and amazing architecture. I met a lot of great people in this town, including travelers from around the world at the hostel and some great local people. 

I took a tour of the silver mine, which was the economic basis of the city for hundreds of years. This is the entrance and we descended 4 levels. The bottom 3 levels are flooded. The tour was great although my Spanish is still not good enough to catch much of the information. I am going to attend a school soon so I can communicate better. I really feel like I'm missing lots of opportunities to learn. 

We took a cable car from the hill where the silver mine was located to this hill. It was high above the city and provided quite a view. 

Lunch on the road near Dolores Hidalgo. This place was a lot of fun and the food was delicious.

These guys talked to us for a while. People here are very nice and are generally curious to hear about the trip and my impressions of Mexico. I don't have to lie. It is a wonderful place.




5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great city Chris! I emailed you to make certain everything is still on for tomorrow--let me know. I hope you are enjoying having a friendly face around for a bit. Talk with you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris!!! Wow, it looks as if you are having the time of your life!! Awesome. Did the road make you a tad bit dizzy? It did me as I watched the video of it. The pictures you are sending are top notch; especially the ocean views. Oh, the diver is nuts.... OMG! I am looking forward to the skype session Rob has planned for 12.22 at 1:00. Has your better half joined you yet? I have been following you on the map. Say, Kent H. was trying to call you on the phone tree on 12-12 to let you know we did not have school... just to make you a tad bit jealous!! Ha Ha! We had 22 inches of snow Dec 11, 12 and 13 and 7 more last night. Want us to send you some.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, looking forward to more pics from you!! Take Good Care!! Jo Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pix, Chris. Just remember the most important phrase: "mas despacio, por favor" and "MAS DESPACIO!" They will slow down their speech for like 4 seconds and then go back to the normal, unintelligible speed... Hey, heard yer girlfriend made it down for a visit. Have fun! BTW, Sarah and her book club of savage women will be near Palya Del Carmen from 01.08 to 01.18 if you're in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie and I enjoyed that tour of the mine, too. There was one other tourist - a Frenchman - so we didn't catch a lot of the language, but it was pretty amazing anyway. Did you see the nightclub inside.
    Hugs for you and Sarah,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete